why do self employed pay less national insurance

Other Reclaiming: Mortgage Fees, Council Tax etc
House Buying, Renting Selling Pensions, Annuities Retirement Planning Employment, Jobseeking Training LPG, Heating Oil, Solid Other Fuels Marriage, Relationships Families Deaths, Funerals Probate Report Holiday Deals, Bargains Special Offers Flights, Currency Car Hire Parking Tickets, Fines Parking Is This Quote Fair? UK Holidays, Days Out Entertainments Theatre, Concert Events Tickets Praise, Vent Warnings Who Where are You? N. Ireland Quick! Grabbit while you can It's Gone, but was it any good?

Gone Off! All Shopped Out! Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot Jumble Sales Going Going Gone. Post, phone text comps I won! I won! I won! How much have you saved? Self-employed people have to pay two types of national insurance. The first, class 2 contributions, amount to a flat rate of бе2. 70 per week and are paid by anyone earning more than бе5,725per year. (If you earn less than бе5,725 a year you are not entitle to pay national insurance, however you will need to apply for Certificate of Small Earnings Exception via HMRC). This can either be paid monthly or six-monthly by direct debit or in response to payment requests from HMRC in October and April.

Any outstanding arrears can be paid in a one-off payment. These class 2 contributions offer very basic cover, as youБd expect from the amount of money involved. Depending on your circumstances, these contributions may be sufficient for you to claim incapacity benefit in the future, but not industrial injuries benefit. YouБll get the basic retirement pension, but not earnings-related pension payments, nor any bereavement benefits if your spouse should die.

If youБre not already set up to pay class 2 contributions, when you register for business taxes. If youБre already self-employed but not set up to pay national insurance you can call HMRCБs new Бself-employed helplineБ on 0300 200 3505. The бе2. 70 per week for class 2 contributions may seem like a bargain, especially if youБre the sort of person who prefers to rely on yourself rather than the state. But in fact this is not the end of the story. As a self-employed person you must also pay class 4 contributions on your profit per year.

For annual profits between бе7,755 and бе41,450 you will pay 9% and then an additional 2% on any profits exceeding that amount. Your class 4 national insurance contributions must be calculated on your self-assessment tax return and paid alongside your income tax. If you complete your form online, your contributions will be automatically calculated. If youБre filing a paper self-assessment form but are unsure how to work out your class 4 contributions, leave the space on the form blank and HMRC will calculate the amount on your behalf.

For those operating more than one business, there are special rules which calculate adjustments to the amount of insurance you need to pay on business profits. Unlike class 2 contributions, class 4 national insurance does not count towards any benefit entitlements. See the table summary below. Table source: Generally, the total amount of national insurance you would pay as a self-employed person is less than you would pay as an employee, where around 10 percent of salary (between the same income levels) is the norm.